Sunday, February 15, 2009

HALL OF FAME OF SIN

If you haven’t guessed by now, I’m reading through the One Year Bible published by Tyndale House. If you are unfamiliar with the One Year Bible, it very conveniently puts together readings from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs in easy-to-read daily sections.

The section I read today includes Exodus 32, 33 and portions from Matthew 26 and 27. I know the editors didn’t put these passages together on purpose. They just happened to fit together for this particular day of readings. But I was amazed at what I read. These passages included some of the most famous sins committed by some of the most famous people in the entire Bible!

Exodus 32 contains the sin of Aaron. This older brother of Moses was the new high priest of Israel. He had just been set apart as Holy to the Lord. Moses was up on Mount Sinai receiving the tablets of the law when the Israelites came to him complaining that this fellow Moses had disappeared on the mountain and they needed gods to lead them ahead. Aaron called for all the gold earrings the people were wearing and he carefully fashioned a calf of gold to represent Yahweh for them. He even called for a festival to the LORD on the next day. When he was confronted by Moses about the golden calf Aaron lied, They gave me the gold, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf! He allowed the people to get out of control in their wild celebrations and the Levites went through the camp and put about three thousand of them to death. On top of that, God struck the people with a plague because of their sin.

We also have the Israelites who so quickly turned away from their God, the same God before whom they vowed, Everything the LORD has said we will do! (Exodus 24:3) They had seen the mighty hand of God as he struck the Egyptians with the plagues. They had crossed over the Red Sea on dry land and watched as Pharaoh and his army were drowned. They followed the pillar of fire and the cloud.

Matthew 26 has the account of Peter’s denial of Jesus. Peter, the Rock. The one who boasted that even if everyone else abandoned Jesus he never would. A servant girl confronted him about having been with Jesus and he said he didn’t know what she was talking about. A second girl pointed to him and told people that he had been with Jesus. This time he swore an oath in his denial. And finally a group of people came to Peter and pointed out that his accent showed him to be one of Jesus’ followers. Finally Peter called down curses upon himself and swore that he didn’t know the man. The rooster crowed and Peter went out and wept bitterly.

The chief priests and elders of Israel finally decided to try to have Jesus put to death in Matthew 27. They knew better. Even if some of them remained foolishly ignorant, too many of them had seen the signs and wonders and knew the prophecies to be considered innocent in any way. Jesus had even told them he was their Messiah (Matthew 26:64). What greater sin could there be than to plot the execution of the Messiah, the Son of God?

Finally, we have Judas. Judas was seized with remorse when he saw that Jesus had been found guilty of blasphemy and was sentenced to death. There was nothing he could do to change things. Even though he tried to make things right it was too late. Judas has lived with Jesus for a couple of years and he had seen and heard all the things the other disciples heard. Yet he betrayed our Lord.

Aaron was the chosen chief priest. Israel was God’s son being brought out of Egypt. Peter and Judas were Jesus’ chosen disciples. The chief priests and the elders of Israel were the religious leaders of Israel. These people committed the most infamous sins in history. What does that say to me? If these people can walk into great sin with such intentionality, my only hope is to stay as close to God as I can! I can never let down my guard. Sin is nothing to play around with. I must deal with sin and temptation as violently as the Levites dealt with their brethren! It would be very dangerous for me to ever, ever think I have progressed to a place of safety from sin! Such pride and over-confidence would be my downfall!

6 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave:
Aren't you glad that God has stopped recording Scripture! That way none of our sins is recorded for everyone to read.

Every time the conversation turns to discussions concerning sins and our lives I am reminded of what God said to Cain in Genesis 4: 7 "..If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it." Isn't that true? No matter where we are in life, sin is still crouching at the door, and it's desire is for us, and we still must master it. Everyday, all the time, no matter what is going, it is there waiting. When we let down our guard, we open the door and it pounces on us. Of course, some of us open the door and freely invite sin in. But more often our downfall starts with a slow drift from the shores of God's Word
I actually am encouraged to read that great men have fallen, and are fallible, and turn away, and do stupid things. I don't feel so alone. God is gracious to leave us examples to remind us of our peril and our power.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Anne of The House said...

Hey Steve-
I am also glad that God has stopped recording Scripture.. (although I 'm sure I would never be important enough to be in it.) The notion of my life being played drive-in movie style at the end of my life used to haunt me. But since God is perfect and in heaven there would be no edification in watching a struggling sinner struggle with sinful things, I am living an easier life here -- struggling privately on the inside of my skin.... and safe in the Keeper of my soul!
Praise God for real peace! eh?

I sure miss you guys!

12:54 AM

Posted to HALL OF FAME OF SIN

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reiman

Hey, "Anne of The House"

Thanks for your comments. Sometimes I have the same fears you mentioned, about my life playing on the big screen for all to see. After all, didn't Jesus say that whatever we did in secret would be shouted out in heaven? I think I have given far to many scenes that would need to be censored and it pains me in a very real way. God is gracious, and He said that He would remember our sins no more. So I am counting on Him to erase my tape, or at least edit it to show only my good moments, both of them.

We miss you guys too. God bless and may the stimulus package find you and shower you with the income that will be taken from me, my children, my children's children, and their children after them!

Yes we can! Hah!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

I appreciate your comments Reiman and Anne. You guys really make my simple thoughts take on life! I appreciate your visits.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Anne of The House said...

Yes, I too look forward to the stimulus package that will eventually change life as we know it in this country permanently. At least I'll get to pay off my bills before I have to fill in the swimming pool to use the land for a victory garden!

They'll eventually have to rezone to allow people keep domestic livestock. It'll be just like the good ole days only poorer.

Braces??? College?? And by the way, I am no longer worth more dead than alive.

I wish with all my heart you guys could come out. Your face would bring huge joy! And I could sure use an intense talk in the car with your faithful wifey! You both are tearfully missed.

Pray for Dave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home