Saturday, September 05, 2009

PERSISTENT PRAYER


Luke 18:1-8

Jesus taught a great deal about prayer; more than most people think. Luke tells us right at the outset that Jesus wanted to teach his disciples to always pray and not give up (8:1). He then proceeded to tell the story of the widow who would not give up pleading for justice from the unjust judge. Finally, this ungodly judge gave the woman justice just to get him to leave him alone.

People often misinterpret parables. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard people struggle with trying to identify God the Father with the unjust judge. The principle of interpretation is rather simple: If the judge who is ungodly and unjust gives justice to one who continually asks for it, how much more will your Father in heaven who is good and just give you what you ask for?

Have you ever wondered what it is that keeps us from asking and asking and asking God again for his blessing in a certain situation? Some people say that God already knows what we need and that we don’t need to keep asking him for it. Others say that it shows a lack of faith to keep asking and asking over and over again. Some people grow discouraged when the answer to their request does not come quickly and they give up asking.

I think some people come to believe that their request isn’t that important to God. Or that God is not going to answer their prayer. Others begin to wonder if God cares about their need. Or they wonder if God really is good and means to bless them at all.

Jesus wants us to learn to pray faithfully and not give up. Why? The more we pray about a situation the more we will begin to see that the answer is completely out of our hands and that it is in God’s hands. That humbles us. That increases our dependence on God. That builds our faith.

The greatest commandment is to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. I am a father. I want my kids to love me and I want them to love me a lot! What would break my heart is to hear them say, “Dad doesn’t really care about us. He doesn’t want to help us. He’s given up on us. It does no good to ask Dad for anything because he never gives us an answer to our questions. We have to take care of ourselves!” If I want my kids to love me and to depend on me, how much more does our Heavenly Father want us to love him, depend on him, and come to him with our needs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home