Thursday, November 12, 2009

HE MUST INCREASE...

John 3:30
He must become greater; I must become less. (NIV)

He must increase, but I must decrease. (NASB)

I’ve not posted anything for quite awhile. I’ve had some mental blocks as far as writing is concerned. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking. John 3:30 appeared in my last post and I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind. I keep thinking of ways in which Christ must increase in my life while I decrease. Here is a brief list of all the things that have passed through my scattered brain.

His glory must increase in my life while my pride must decrease. No matter how much I try to put Christ and others before myself in the way I live, I still find an incredible amount of myself in everything I do.

His fame must increase while my name must decrease. That is the unofficial motto of New Hope Church; To Make Jesus’ Name Famous in Our Communities. Why does it seem to be so important that people know who I am or give me credit for what I have done? Who cares who gets the credit? George Whitefield said the same thing, “Let the name of Whitefield perish…”

His kingdom must increase while my kingdom must decrease. The church is his, not mine.

His gospel must increase while my own message must decrease. All I need to do is preach his gospel. Who cares about my opinions about things?

His praise must increase while praise for me must decrease. Whatever I am able to do is completely dependent on Christ.

His power must increase while my influence must decrease.

His control of my thoughts and desires must increase while my selfish control must decrease.

My interest in knowing him intimately must increase while my interest in all other things must decrease.

My interest in serving him must increase while my self-interest must decrease.

I’m sure you can think of many more illustrations of this principle and I would love to hear what the Lord puts into your heart and mind. Please share your thoughts as well!

2 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Jane Anderson said...

Maybe this is my problem wrapped up into the polarization of these words. Increase Decrease and how I apply the right formula to their significance in my life. Thank you for pointing that out. Now that I have the formula, the application needs work.

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous gregory said...

yes, but your blog postings must increase!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home