Wednesday, November 05, 2008

ONE NATION, UNDER GOD...


The campaign is finally over. Barack Obama is the 44th president of these United States. My kids think I am some kind of prophet or something. This morning at breakfast they were asking, “What will happen now, Dad? How will things change now?” Well I am neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet. I don’t even understand economics. I can’t begin to comprehend the complications of our involvement in Iraq. And I can’t imagine the stress that has already replaced the euphoria in the mind and heart of President-elect Obama. So I can’t answer that question.

But if they would have asked, “Daddy, what are YOU going to do now?” I could have answered them.

I’m going to pray for President-elect Obama for the next four years. I think the Bible tells me to honor those who are in authority over me and to pray for them. He will need our prayers. May God grant him amazing wisdom as he appoints a cabinet and prepares to take on the mantle of leadership. May God enable him to unite our country and to reach across the aisle to bring about the kind of change we need. May God give him strength to overcome the temptations that go along with power. And may God draw his heart closer to His own in the days ahead.

I’m going to keep my eyes fixed on the goal that Christ has set for me. I have a mission. New Hope Community Church has a mission. We’ve been called to work to help plant a new church here in lovely Shafter, California. Our calling is to reach many people in our town with the gospel. Our calling is to cross cultural, linguistic, and ethnic barriers and introduce ordinary people to our extraordinary God. Our calling is to love people regardless of their political, economic, or social position. Our calling is to touch people with the love of Jesus Christ. In other words, in spite of all the “change” that has taken place across our country and all the “change” that is anticipated and expected in Washington, D.C., nothing has changed for me as I sit here at my desk early this morning.

What does God expect from his people? He expects us to keep ourselves devoted to the mission! May he grant us grace and strength to persevere. He holds the future in his hands, we don’t. All we can do is that which he brings to our hands today!

1 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger jazzycat said...

Dave,
Tough times for sure... Let us also remember to pray that God would give strength and bless those in Congress that oppose the ungodly and unrighteous policies that Obama has said he would bring. They are going to be under pressure to silence dissent to the barbaric practice of abortion and other social values. They need our support and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home