Sunday, February 22, 2009

ONE WORD: COLONOSCOPY

This has been “one of those weeks.” You know, one of those weeks when everything falls off the rails; you can’t keep track of what day it is; everything is kind of tossed up in the air; you forget things you’re supposed to do; your disciplines come apart and you just slip into “survival” mode. I guess I’m explaining why I haven’t remained faithful this week to my “blogging through the Bible.”

I had a doctor’s appointment a couple of weeks ago. My annual routine check up. Everything went great. I heard what I expected to hear: “You have to lose weight and get more exercise.” Otherwise, I got a clean bill of health. I almost made it out the door before my new doctor said, “Oh, have you had a colonoscopy yet?” Rats! Caught! The fact is, I stopped going to the doctor when I was 39 just to avoid such an unpleasant experience. I had a physical last year and the doc told me I needed a colonoscopy but I think he must have forgotten about it. This guy had me dead to rights.

So the test was scheduled for last Tuesday, the 17th. Monday was the day from hell as I had to drink a gallon of some lime-flavored, syrupy liquid. My system processed that stuff very quickly and I discovered I couldn’t be more than about ten steps from the great white throne. I didn’t finish the devilish concoction until 11:30 at night and by that time I was pretty miserable.

But the test went fine. I slept through the whole thing. I remember waking up a couple of times, aware that something was going on down there but not caring! The doctor called Mia and me into a little room to talk about the test. He removed three polyps and found a fourth that he didn’t like the look of so he took a biopsy.

The doctor called on Wednesday at noon and told me that pathology found some cancer cells in the biopsy and he wanted to see me and schedule a CAT scan right away. So I ran down to Bakersfield and met with the doc. He told me that most doctors would call the polyp “pre-cancerous” but that he doesn’t mess with that. For him, if there are cancer cells, it’s cancer! Then he told me that he was confident he found it very early and that I would live another 35 years.

Thursday morning I went back down to Bakersfield for the CAT scan. It went fine except that the IV they put in my arm must have had a needle on it that measured about a quarter of an inch! Haven’t gotten the results from that scan yet. But from there I had to drive up to Fresno to pick up my dear friend John Armstrong who flew in to spend a long weekend with us ministering to our church people.

We had a great weekend with John. Friday we met with seven church planters in our group from Tulare Community Church and discussed missional ministries. Saturday we had a great lunch with the men of New Hope. John preached this morning for us. And tonight we had an all-church dinner and discussion that was truly groundbreaking for us! We may be able to look back on this weekend as a direction-changing, ministry-shaping, vision-developing weekend! Our people were thrilled with John’s ministry and I can tell they are very excited about where we’re at as a body.

I take John back to the airport in Fresno in the morning. Then Mia and I will go to the doctor on Tuesday to discuss the CAT scan and make plans for the surgery to remove the polyp in my lower colon. The odds are that it’s no big deal. But you don’t use the word “cancer” lightly with two people who have already been through so much cancer stuff! Let me just say, it hits pretty hard. I feel suddenly very wide awake. Both Mia and I would appreciate your prayers over the next several days and through the surgery.

I’ll be back to the regular blog tomorrow, Lord willing! Thanks for stopping by!

6 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Anne of The House said...

I love you with all my heart, my Darling, my David.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will be praying for you and Mia.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger GutSense said...

My name is Konstantin Monastyrsky. I am a medical writer and an expert in forensic nutrition. I recently released an investigative report entitled “Death By Colonoscopy” on YouTube and my website. This report is based entirely on mainstream medical research, and is fully referenced (http://www.gutsense.org/crc/crc_transcript.html)

I realize the title of my report sounds bizarre, but before you label me insane, consider the following well-established facts:

-- Colonoscopy screening increases mortality from all other causes, research shows. The Telemark Polyp Study I demonstrated a 57% increase in mortality among screened patients vis-à-vis unscreened controls. The decrease in the incidence of colorectal cancers was only… 2%, which, statistically speaking, is below the margin of error.

-- According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), since screening colonoscopies started in earnest in 2000, the annual incidence of colorectal cancers has grown by 30,000 new cases, while the mortality rate remained practically unchanged.

-- Estimated 55,000 Americans die annually from colon cancer. According to the report entitled “Complications of Colonoscopy in an Integrated Health Care Delivery System” by the Annals of Internal Medicine, an estimated 70,000 (0.5% from 14 million+ screenings) are killed or injured by colonoscopy-related complications. This figure is higher than the total number of annual deaths from colon cancer by 22%.

-- The 18 years long Minnesota Colon Cancer Control Study included 46 plus thousand patients between the ages of 50 and 80. It demonstrated only a 0.6% reduction in the incidence of colorectal cancer. Statistically speaking, this difference is even less than the chance outcome of one thousand coin flips.

-- According to the Federal Drug Administration, X-ray exposure from a single virtual colonoscopy increases one’s lifetime risk of cancer by 20%. Virtual colonoscopies are now recommended every 5 years. By age 70 one’s risk of developing any other form of cancer grows to 100%. Killing you with another form of cancer before the colon gets affected is one hell-of-the-way to “prevent” colon cancer.

So before you decide to have a colonoscopy (or even if you have already had one), please watch my report and learn about the possible complications from my site. If you already have had a colonoscopy, and run into side effects, such as constipation, diarrhea, diverticulosis, and others, the site offers a very specific set of suggestions on addressing them.

Konstantin Monastyrsky, author of “Gut Sense: How To Reverse Bowel Diseases And Escape Colon Cancer."

www.GutSense.org


P.S. If you have any questions related to my report, feel free to contact me by e-mail via my site.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Anne of The House said...

Steve?
A little help here?

"pfffft??"

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Thanks, Konstantin. I'm feeling much better!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger jazzycat said...

Dave,
You will be in my prayers as well as your family and your church.
Thanks for the visits to Jazzycat...
wayne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home