Wednesday, September 09, 2009

09.09.09


Today I turned 56 years old and began my 57th year. God has been good to me. There have been many difficult ups and downs over all these years but I want to say that he has proved himself faithful, gracious, and patient.

I’ve been in ministry for 35 of those years. Youth ministry, Youth For Christ, and senior pastor ministry since 1981. I’m amazed. God called me to ministry when I was a senior in high school. The call was clear and I went to Wheaton College to begin preparing to answer the call. I always wanted to be a missionary. God never let me be a full time missionary. But he’s let me minister and help plant churches in Brazil, Romania, and India. I’ve been blessed to preach many times in England and Scotland. I’ve tasted the passion of my heart in missions even though God has kept me in pastoral ministry all these years!

I haven’t been alone in my work. My late wife was a great partner in ministry for 22 years. I could never imagine that God would bring me another wife who has supported me in this work for the last nine years! Mia has been a great joy and a true co-laborer as we have now worked on two church plants together. I can’t imagine what my life would be without her and the five fantastic kids she brought to me! Again, we have lived and loved through many tests and trials of life and ministry but God has kept us in the palm of his hand and has led us every step of the way.

Now I have the joy of being involved with the planting of New Hope Community Church in Shafter, CA. God has fulfilled my dream of doing missions without ever leaving the USA! Our community is over 75% Hispanic. Our church is bilingual and multicultural. We are thrilled to be able to participate in the lives of people whose cultures are completely different from ours. We are surrounded by wonderful and godly people who labor at our side for the sake of the kingdom. God has shown us his goodness.

So I’m 56 years old. My mind and my body still tell me I’m 36. God has graciously given me vision for ministry for many years into the future. He brought me through a cancer surgery this past March and I feel terrific! I just want to make every day count for the work of Christ on earth. The scripture says “Your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.” I never remember my dreams but I have a vision! So I must still be young! May God grant me strength and energy to live to see those visions accomplished!

Thanks to many, many of my friends who sent birthday greetings today! I love you!

4 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Anonymous gregory said...

Happiest Birthday Dave!

Though I would have loved to have been there to see you get crowned, I am with you in spirit. Actually, you may recall I was with you and your lovely wife when she picked that pan out your cake is in. You were giving me a tour of Bakersfield soon after my arrival.

Hope to see you all soon
gregory

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Ah Gregory! Only YOU would notice the pan the cake is baked in! I wish you could have been here with us too! We miss you and hope to see you rather soon! Thanks!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger second chair said...

King David!

(Can I call you that? Is it blasphemy?) What a great pic of you on "the nines" celebrating another year of life and ministry. I consider it a great privilege of my life to have known you and spent many hours in encouraging conversation with you. Praying that this will be another great year of ministry for you and Mia!

Joe

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Anne of The House said...

You wear the crown well my Darling!! (Wish it could be real gold- even just for a day!)

You've been the best of husbands and a wise and loving father.

We all need you!
Maybe in heaven it will be revealed to you what you've done for this family.

I love you so very much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home