Tuesday, January 06, 2009

IF I COULD TALK TO THE ANIMALS...

I often find myself in theological discussions. I suppose that is expected of pastors. The thing that comes to my attention most often is the extremely high view people have of themselves. Not necessarily of themselves personally; but a high view of humankind in general. It is as if everything God does is for humans! Humans seem to be the center of God’s attention. It’s all about humans! And this is precisely why so many people have a hard time accepting a lot of what is said in the Bible about the sovereignty of God and his sovereignty over salvation. What we need is a more biblical view of humankind. I ran across a couple of examples this evening.

After the flood, Noah made a sacrifice to God. Genesis 8:21 says, The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.” The first thing I notice is that there is no such thing as an “innocent” child. Every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. It says EVERY inclination. And it was because of human beings that God destroyed the earth. Nevertheless, God says he will never again curse the ground or destroy all living creatures. Interesting that he mentions the animals. Almost seems like he elevates their importance. He’ll never again destroy all animals because of the wickedness of human beings. Yes, animal life was destroyed because of the sin of humans and God will never do that to the animals again. Doesn’t seem so much like humans are as important as they tend to think they are!

How great are humans? God has to put a fear and dread into the wild animals so they won’t destroy the humans. Genesis 9:2, The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands.

Finally, did you ever notice the covenant God makes after the flood? The one where he promises never to destroy the earth through flood again? The rainbow covenant? With whom did he make that covenant? “With mankind!” we answer. What does Genesis say? Genesis 9:9 I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you and with every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature on earth. We’re wrong again! God made his covenant with man and with every living creature on the earth! God made a covenant with animals? Could animals be important to God? Should animals be a little more important to us? It seems that God considers them important enough to make a covenant with them.

And we thought this was all about us!

3 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger donsands said...

Good post. Appreciate the prayers.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger auntie ski said...

You've made an excellent case here Dave! It's so clear why we're told to "love your neighbor as you love yourself"... everything I do is ultimately for 'me' and it's so difficult to be fully selfless. It goes against every fiber of my being! So why does God even want to have a relationship with me? It's beyond my understanding... but I'm oooooohhhhh so grateful for his mercy and grace!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Shiloh Guy said...

Auntie,

You ask a key question, "Why does God even want to have a relationship with me?" Hmmmm. I don't think you know donsands, the man whose comment precedes yours, but he has a great recent post on that very subject!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home